The Halo Burger History
Halo Burger Burgers are Born
- Sam Blair opened a Hotel in downtown Flint. He first sold
his famous burgers from a "boxcar" - style
wagon which according to legend was buried under the
building that replaced it on Harrison Street. Mr.
Blair has been credited with originating the flat
bottom bun and the de-lux hamburger (mayo, lettuce,
tomato). This still remains one of Halo Burger's
most popular sandwiches, especially with Olive.
1938 - Bill Thomas meets Sam Blair - In 1938, Bill Thomas began working for Sam Blair
1944 - Halo Burgers suffer a Loss - By 1944, Bill Thomas began leasing the business from Sam Blair who was retiring. In 1945, Sam Blair passes away six months after he retires. Bill Thomas continues to lease the business from Sam Blair's estate. He would continue to lease it until the youngest grandchild turned 18. At that time the business would be sold to the highest bidder through a closed bid process.
1951 - Bill Thomas expands - In 1951, Bill Thomas bought the Vernors Ginger Ale building located at 800 S. Saginaw Street. This would become his second location. Around 1953 Bill Thomas' son Terry Thomas begins for the family business peeling onions and potatoes
1973 - Bill Thomas Leaves behind an expanding Halo - In 1973 Construction begins on Bill Thomas' Halo Burgers third location located at Miller and Linden Road. This would be the first new building.
Unfortunately before construction was completed, Bill Thomas passed away December 24, 1973.
1974 - Terry Thomas Continues - Bill's wife, Frances, son Terry and daughter took over the duties of running the family business. By 1974 Halo Burger's third location was in full swing at Miller and Linden Road.
1974 - The Burger they call "Supreme" - Halo Burger introduces their now famous 1/2 pound Supreme hamburger.
1976 - More Halo Burger's are developed - Halo Burger opens its fourth location on West Pierson Road in Flint and it fifth location in Grand Blanc.
1978 - Halo Burger in Top 100 - A national radio survey ranks Halo Burger as on of the top 82 burgers in the US
1979 - More Expansion - By the late 70's, the original Halo Burger on Harrison Street is demolished top make way for a U of M Flint parking structure. With their original location closing, Halo Burger opens another location on the East side of Flint (Court Street and Center Road)
1983 - We're Number 1 - Halo Burger is Voted #1 Hamburger in Flint according to the Flint Journal Newspaper Survey
1984-98 - Halo Burger Takes Over Flint - In 1984, Halo opened another downtown location. In 1985 Halo opened their Birch Run Location and in 1986, they opened locations in Saginaw and Southwest side of Flint. In 1987, the Richfield Rd., Genesee Valley food court and 2nd location in Saginaw opened. In 1988 Halo opens three more locations, Atherton Road, Corrunna Road and Leroy Street in Fenton. In 1998 after closing its location in downtown Grand Blanc, Halo opens up a brand new full scale restaurant with kids place in Grand Blanc township.
2000 - Halo voted best burger in Michigan by the Detroit news - Halo Burger is Voted #1 Burger in Michigan according to a Detroit Reader Survey.
2002 - New U of M Location - In 2002 Halo opens a Location on the U of M Flint campus in downtown Flint. The restaurant named The Halo Burger Cafe is located in University Center.
- 1923Halo Burgers are born
- 1938Bill Thomas meets Sam Blair
- 1944Halo Burgers suffer a Loss
- 1951Bill Thomas expands
- 1973Bill Thomas Expands
- 1974Terry Thomas Continues
- 1976More Halo Burger's are developed
- 1978Halo Burger in Top 100
- 1979More Expansion
- 1983We're Number 1
- 1984Halo Burger Takes Over Flint
- 2000Halo voted best burger
- 2002New U of M Location