Currently in Flint, MI:
19.0 F (-7.2 C) and Sky Obscured with Haze and Breezy
Sam Blair opened a Hotel in downtown Flint. He first sold his famous burgers from a boxcar style wagon that, according to legend, was buried under the building that replaced it on Harrison Street. Mr. Blair has been credited with originating the flat bottom bun and the de-lux hamburger (mayo, lettuce, & tomato). This still remains one of Halo Burger's most popular sandwiches, especially with olives.
In 1938, Bill Thomas began working for Sam Blair.
By 1944, Bill Thomas began leasing the business from Sam Blair who was retiring. In 1945, six months after he retired, Sam Blair passed away. Bill Thomas continued to lease the business from Sam Blair's estate. He would continue to lease it until his youngest grandchild turned 18. At that time the business would be sold to the highest bidder through a closed bid process.
In 1951, Bill Thomas bought the Vernors Ginger Ale building located at 800 S. Saginaw Street. This would become his second location. Around 1953, Bill Thomas' son Terry Thomas began peeling onions and potatoes for the family business.
In 1973, construction began on Bill Thomas' Halo Burger's third location located at Miller and Linden Road. This would be the first new building. Unfortunately on December 24, 1973 and before construction was completed, Bill Thomas passed away.
Bill's wife, Frances, son Terry and daughter took over the duties of running the family business. By 1974, Halo Burger's third location was in full swing at Miller and Linden Road.
Halo Burger introduced their now famous 1/2 pound Supreme hamburger.
Halo Burger opens their fourth location on West Pierson Road in Flint and their fifth location in Grand Blanc.
A national radio survey ranks Halo Burger as one of the top 82 burgers in the US.
By the late 70's, the original Halo Burger on Harrison Street was demolished to make way for a University of Michigan Flint parking structure. With their original location closing, Halo Burger opened another location on the East side of Flint at Court Street and Center Road.
Halo Burger is Voted #1 Hamburger in Flint according to a Flint Journal newspaper readers' Survey.
In 1984, Halo opened another downtown location. In 1985 Halo opened their Birch Run location and in 1986, they opened locations in Saginaw and on the Southwest side of Flint. In 1987, the Richfield Road, Genesee Valley food court and 2nd location in Saginaw opened. In 1988 Halo opened three more locations: Atherton Road, Corrunna Road and Leroy Street in Fenton. In 1998, after closing their location in downtown Grand Blanc, Halo opened up a brand new full scale restaurant with kids' place on Hill Road in Grand Blanc township.
Halo Burger is Voted #1 Burger in Michigan according to a Detroit Reader Survey.
In 2002 Halo opens a Location on the U of M Flint campus in downtown Flint. The restaurant named The Halo Burger Cafe is located in University Center.